Art


It was the sight of Orion’s Belt, shining through the thickness of Dallas’ light pollution that sent my mind spiraling. I was running and it was late. The only sounds in the dim neighborhoods were my shoes hitting the pavement, my rhythmic breathing, and the occasional roll of a passing car or leashed dog with owner.  
I thought back to a day a few years ago when my friend Christina took me to her Uncle’s house. She is a long time friend who moved from Dallas to Austin and was in town to visit family. I mentioned I wanted to see her so she invited me to visit her Uncles with her.
I had met these Uncles a couple times while accompanying my friend to various affairs and knew they were artists so I was excited to visit their home, which as Christina described was a house-sized exhibit for their art.
Her assessment was accurate and as I stared at the various pieces of cartoonish self portraits and shock arts of characters they created I was in awe. We all shared a salad of fresh greens from their garden and held meaningful conversation about the state of art, finding purpose in life, and how music and art have definite synergy. The most important piece from our visit was when Brian, one of the two as they were both named Brian, asked me a poignant question: “Have you made any art lately?”
The question grew from a talk surrounding how both Brian’s were full time artists and were able to experiment with painting, sculpture, clay, and graphic design. Christina was a pottery major in college and was trying to motivate herself to be more involved in art in her town. When the conversation turned to me, I found myself shocked to be asked such a thing.
I was so impressed by their drive to create and inspired by what seemed an endless pool of inspiration in all three of them. When I was asked this question, like I was some equal to their creative skill set, I could hardly answer.
I am a trained musician and can play and create music, but I had at this time spent so long being a backup musician that I realized I had stopped creating true and unique things that reflected me as a person.
I went home that day inspired and for the next several weeks took their words to heart. I wrote more, listened to new music, played the guitar just to enjoy the act and not to prepare for a gig. I bought spray paint and experimented with various things. I even built a raised garden bed from which I ended growing one zucchini, several squash and three sad looking tomato plants.

I pondered these things tonight while I ran in the dark noticing dim and far away stars. These footfalls were my art this evening and I was creating a masterpiece. If art was to be a reflection of yourself in this moment and in this place, and art could look beautiful to some and hideous to others, well then that is precisely what running is for me today.
There are times where my art is peaceful and reflective and other times when it is angry and harsh.
I have witness an artist screaming at mile 106 of 135 while ascending a relentless slope and saw her angry colors and passion, displayed through hard breaths and heavy steps. When I was in Africa, I watched an entire village leave one Saturday morning, donned in comple and panya suits clapping in rhythm. The entire village ran the equivalent of a 10k together that morning clapping and in rhythm the whole time. Their entire tribe created a portrait that day that I will never forget.
In June, I hope to create a beautiful masterpiece, but everyday until then I can answer Brian’s question, “Have you made any art lately?”
Yes sir. My shoes are my brush. My breath is my color. Watch what I create.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run

Western States Application Essay

The Active Joe: Hug a Dino