Cimmarron 50k- Word Travels Fast

Cimarron 50k, Technical report


The race: Montrose, CO Mad Moose events Cimarron 30k/50k Starting Elevation approx. 8,000, elevation gain approx. 3,000


The people: Jessy Graham going for the 50k and myself going for the 30k


The prep: Leading up to race, I continued to build mileage and worked hard on strength to prepare for climbing. No altitude training or acclimation. Arrived at race site the night before the race and set up camp by starting line. Was up and moving with plenty of time before race start. Consumed a cup of coffee, small pita bread dipped in hummus and one bite of oatmeal/peanut butter no bake cookie.


The gear: Wearing dry weave tank top under moisture wicking long sleeve tee, shorts, gloves, hat, and buff.
In pack had 20 oz water, one pack ProBar electrolyte chews, sunglasses and baggie with TP.

The plan: Signed up to do the 30k, planning to really push for time. There was steep climbing the first mile, and then graded downhill into first aide station at mile 4. Lots of climbing and rolling hills to mile 9 where turnaround was for 30k, or second aide station for 50k. 
I wanted to go out fast, breathe smart, rhythmic and full to get lungs going for altitude. Hard hiking up first hill and steady focused pace into first aide station. After mile four, I'd settle into my long range cadence over the rolling hills and strong power hiking and recovery running the downhills. Stay focused and steady into final mile, which was all downhill, then fly to the finish line.


What actually happened:
The alarm went off and Jessy and I rose from the tent and began to prepare. After about 20 minutes of tinkering about, I made the observation that it was odd no one else was awake and it was still really dark, despite it being almost 6am. Jessy restarts her phone and we learn that the time change had not registered. We had another two hours before race start. Back to the tent and back to sleep we went.
Second time the alarm goes off, there are other racers now also prepping and the Mad Moose folks are out getting the start line and bibs ready.
We pour Fireball in our coffee. We laugh.
I get changed and pack my race pack, don my bib and am ready to go.

But...
I have a nervous stomach.
I'm cold. 
My legs feel stiff. 
I second guess my training. 

The pre race meeting is starting. 
And.......

I look over and Jessy is smiling from ear to ear. 
We take a silly selfie. 

Just like that, the doubt is gone. I'm so freaking excited.


Race starts and i'm running. Uphill. Not the plan. I feel winded at first but focus on my rhythm and soon have my lungs under control. This is good. I find myself in the lead pack so I slow down and start to search for my stride. The hill crests and as we descend my cadence picks up. I feel natural and free. As we move into more rolling terrain i'm taken aback by how gorgeous the distant snow covered mountains are. The shades of green swirling through the valley below, the high and quick bird songs echoed by low and raspy bullfrog ribbits. The clouds seem so close, I want to touch them. 
And just like that, the first aide station peaks around a bend. I note that I haven't finished the water in my pack, so I fill them and vow to drink more before the next stop. I enjoy a pretzel and off I go. 
I run with a park ranger/nurse who tells me about her wedding day. 
I notice sweeping trees on a bluff. I watch a rabbit hustle in the brush.


I'm surprised to find myself at the second aide station and my turnaround. Looking at my clock, I've gone 9 miles in an hour and forty minutes. I feel strong and enraptured by the scenery. I drained my water bottles like I promised. I feel great.

As one aide station volunteer filled my bottles again, another offers me salt tabs while the last smiles wide and asks a very important question, "Wanna upgrade?!"


I eat four potato chips and watch my park ranger friend ascend another climb moving away from the aide station to the 50k turnaround. I look at the friendly face of the volunteer, return her smile and reply, "Yes!"

And just like that,
I have six miles to my new turnaround. I remain strong and elated. The scenery gets more beautiful, but the climbs become increasingly steep and self doubt begins its sneaky takeover.

I start to question myself.
"Are your lungs really okay?"
"Why are your hands swelling?"
"Will I dead leg before the turnaround?"
"Is the pain on the top of my right foot swelling or symptom of a greater issue?"
But most importantly I ponder,
"Am I being greedy?"

I hear behind me shuffling footsteps and muffled voices, echoing down the trail way. A group of runners approach. I listen intently to their conversation. 
My inward doubt is now eroded by the silly jokes and clever humor I hear from behind. I hear movie quotes and sarcastic punchlines. I hear cheering and celebrations as we begin to see runners coming towards us from the turnaround. This means I have almost reached the next aide station/turnaround and I feel strong and happy and ready for some food.


I meet the jolly runners from behind at the aide station and thank them for the entertainment. We all eat a quarter square of peanut butter and honey sandwiches and enjoy some ginger ale. My water bottles are again empty, so one of the volunteers fills them for me. I loosen my shoelaces and the runners invite me to join them.
Off again, this time with new friends. Everyone in this group of four is pushing for their first 50k. They are also all strangers who met this morning and all Colorado natives. I tell them of my lack of altitude training and my recent upgrade in distance. Their cheers were genuine and a confidence boost that would take me busting through my usual "walls." 
I ran with them and enjoyed their company quite thoroughly for about a mile and a half before seeing a most familiar smiling face approaching from the opposite direction.
I say quick good byes and split off from the group to check in with Jessy and run with her a moment. 
I tell her of my upgrade while grinning. She looks strong and we give each other pleasant affirmation. I break away from her and return to my race.

I adopt a mantra of "hike strong, run smart" as I continue. My lungs are still strong, my heart rate controlled,  but I can feel the lactic acid building in my hamstrings and tension tightening in my feet. Once past the second aide station a cloud cover arrived, robbing me of the warmth of any direct sun light. 
While every runner I passed had shed their warm gear, I was still in gloves and long sleeve shirt, with the buff around my neck. I couldn't figure out if my inability to warm was dehydration or lack of assimilation. The tension in my right foot began to worry me so I knelt to loosen my laces again. 
While in this task, I realized how swollen my hands were. Now I struggled to actually get my shoes tied again and this started a cycle of having to stop and re tie them thrice more. I was getting frustrated.

 I ate some electrolyte chews and thought of the kind faces I had met on the trail thus far. 
The cheers of the second aide station workers as I headed out for my new further distance, combined with the celebrations from the fun and silly group I paced with out of the turn around was my new resounding March and that tune played out again and again in my head as I paced my way into the fourth aide station. 
This was the station with the volunteers that offered the upgrade. They shouted as I arrived, "it's the upgrader!!!!" 
They offered congratulations, praise, Oreos and a peanut butter sandwich and i happily took them up on each thing. The group I ran with before even told them about how I broke off to say hello to Jessy, adding even more distance to my day. They were even delighted to congratulate me on that. The swelling in my hands was subsiding so I was able to properly tie my shoes and set off again. 
The next five miles was a cat and mouse game with three different runners. I stayed steady in breathe and true to my pace and overtook each. 
As I reached the final aide station I thought to myself, "wow! I have yet to hit any of my familiar walls! Four easy miles and i'm done!"

Thinking this was a mistake.

As I reached that aide station I was still cold, but because I had stopped, I chilled even more. I knew I needed to drink, but my water was icey and I couldn't bring myself to do it. I trudged on and after a while found myself surrounded my aspen trees. On a course littered with green shrubs and tall pines, I couldn't recall running through aspen trees. 
I get light headed. 
I feel angry. 
It starts to rain. 
The giant water drops hit me while I curse my failing body. With dead hamstrings, tired feet and now shivering, I look ahead and it's not raining on the trail before me. I look behind me and a few feet back the trail is dry under some sun rays peeking through the clouds.
I think... "Oh bother..."

And just like that, I have to laugh.

The reality of my blood sugar drop becomes clear. I pull out my remaining sugary electrolyte enriched chews, laugh some more at myself, then continue forward. I feel the sugar revive me and sip some water as I reach the peak of the final climb. 
Gazing down, I can see the waving flags at the finish. I have one mile of fast descent and I take it on with ferocity. I feel like a mountain goat/fairy/charging warrior. I power past orange cones and cheering runners and hear several people call out, "It's the Upgrader!!"

Cimarron 50k- I didn't plan to, but I finished you and couldn't be happier about it.


Prologue:
Spoke to several fellow runners post race. Every single one had heard that I upgraded. Also, the other runners had all noted and discussed that the two girls in the Texas truck were drinking Fireball before the race. Word travels fast at Colorado races.


I was finishing a beer with propped up feet, watching the crest line above when a familiar neon yellow color appeared through the trees. Jessy had just reached the final peak and began her descent to the finish. I grabbed my phone with camera ready and stood at the finish, cheering and clapping. She ran strong through the finish and straight into my arms. The hug we shared, both with the miles complete and accomplishment new, is a feeling I can not quite find words to fit.

Thank you Cimarron for the most excellent adventure.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run

Western States Application Essay

The Active Joe: Hug a Dino